Bobbi Jo Turner RMT
Why You Receive Prenatal Massage
The expanding popularity of prenatal massage is a result of the modern tendency to increase levels of well-being, education and opportunity. Your growing and changing shape is one of nature's most incredible occurrences. Knowledgeable pregnancy massage therapists can help you gain the most from this specialized treatment.
Importantly, the prenatal period can be a very stressful physical and emotional time for a mother-to-be. Proper management of stress itself is of great consequence. Clearly documented evidence exists to suggest that very high levels of stress may increase the probability of pre-term labor and lower birth weight of the newborn.
Prenatal massage by a professional offers numerous benefits including but not limited to:
- Creates a positive environment of wonderful relaxation and soothing stress relief
- Promotes proper postural maintenance to ease physical stress
- Provides relief from musculoskeletal strain, aches and pains, muscle spasms and cramps
- Increases circulation of the blood & lymph
- Reduces edema and blood pressure through promoting better blood circulation.
- Increases blood and lymph circulation for increased toxins elimination and immune system funtioning.
- Affords welcome release from chronic tension in the neck, shoulders, lower back, abdomen and thighs
- Eases childbirth by preparing the muscles used in childbirth
- Actively aids in reducing fluid retention, swelling in hands and feet, headaches and sinus problems as well as digestive irregularities.
- Helps you to sleep better while reducing fatigue and discomfort caused by physical and emotional stresses. Energy levels and mental alertness increase.
Why is Back Pain so Prevalent?
As your pregnancy advances, several common conditions usually occur.
- You will gain weight. Weight gain is normal and good for your baby, however, it can sorely stress your back muscles.
- The structures that support your pelvic organs will become more pliant due to hormonal changes, which are naturally intended to prepare your body to give birth. You may experience considerable discomfort in either side of your back as a result.
- At the same time, your body's centre of gravity is shifting forward. Your natural tendency is to adjust your posture and the way you move about in everyday activity. Back strain is often the result of this natural change in posture.
- As your body adjusts to the tremendous physical and emotional changes taking place in your routine, everyday tasks can lead to incorrect lifting or awkward muscle stretches, which can themselves, become minor injuries and part of back, neck and shoulder pain.
The Prenatal Massage Process
As in most massage therapy, you will fill out a medical history form complete with disclosure of any conditions or complications, which have arisen in the past or as a result of the pregnancy. Together, you and the therapist will execute a treatment strategy that will effectively deal with the conditions you request relief from or help with. This could include exercises you can perform while at home. Your treatment plan will vary according to which trimester you are in.
In general, your pregnancy massage will have you lying comfortably on your side; the use of pillows to increases your relaxation and comfort. The type and amount of clothing you wear during massage is your personal choice. Your comfort is paramount. Your body will always be draped or covered other than only that part being gently massaged at the moment. Be comfortable-relax-and enjoy!
Visit my Appointment page to book a session with me.
Related Massage Therapy - Postpartum Massage
It is time for your body to heal itself, restore most organs and musculature to pre-pregnancy status and recover from the birth process in general. Almost universally practiced and accepted in most cultures in the world, is the practice of massage to aid in post pregnancy recovery and relaxation. Postpartum massage therapy benefits may include:
- Wonderful relief from aches, pains and muscle soreness
- Helps shrink the uterus and speed recovery through abdominal massage
- Soothing comfort and clearing of unhealthy tensions, stress and symptoms of postpartum blues
- Provides a 'quiet time' with healing hands specifically trained to relax and invigorate your recovery process
- Instruction on appropriate exercises designed to return your body to pre-pregnancy condition.
I invite you to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.